Saturday, December 11, 2010

The language of clay.


We did Inuit Igloo scenes with grade one and twos at Rio Terrace yesterday. It is a great school that offers both French Immersion and a German Bilingual program.There was an Asian boy in the last class of grade two that did not speak English, French, or German, but he speak "Clay".....fluently. All I had to do was take a little extra time to show him what to do, not on his work but with another piece of clay, and he took off on his own to make a very good project. He understood exactly what he was to do and he did that and more. By the end of the class he not only had the igloo, sun and person, but he had an Inukshuk and the Inuit person was making a snowman. He also understood the big smiles he got and the pat on the back. It must be so scary to come to a country where you don't speak the language. This little guy will do fine. He a bright boy and easy going.

Did I bring the camera like I said I was going to do??........ NO....... They were an air dry project and did not come home with us. Yesterday I don't know where my head was. Not only did I not bring the camera, but I didn't bring Jim's apron or the paper bags we provide to take the projects home in.

People have been using clay since we have been people. Every culture, I think with the exception of the Inuit, have clay in their history and clay in their daily lives. Almost everyone likes to make things out of clay. You hand someone a lump of clay and they will make a.......something. With this boy yesterday, clay and the love of working with it was the common language that we all could speak. It was a good day.

Until next time.
Cindy

No comments:

Teaching Blog Traffic School