Monday, February 15, 2010

Family Day

When I first started The Clay Teacher I thought I would blog everyday and tell everyone about the kids. It’s really hard and as much as I enjoy the kids the stories start to sound repetitive. Not that I have told a lot of them. But I have worked with almost 2,000 children and the stories and the students do blend. So I thought I might make this a bit more personal and try to do more of a “what I did today” then only The Clay Teacher.

I live with my husband Jim, who is the other half of The Clay Teacher. He does everything but be in the classroom. He does that as well if the classes are large. He will help me in a few weeks. We are going out of town and working with about 200 students in 2 days. The first day is a heavy day. They have booked about 130 students, so Jim will come along and help. That’s a lot of clay and projects to carry, not to mention trying to talk to every student. When I go to a classroom I try to help or talk to every student and our first class is almost 50 students. I like it when Jim comes with me, we work well together. We have been working together since we met in 1999.

My/our Kaileigh lives with us. She is 20, going to NAIT and is in her first year of a two year computer course. She is studying web building, programming and whole lotta things I don’t understand. But her marks are good and she is enjoying it. So I don’t need to know. She has a boyfriend Andy or Andrew depending on, well I am not sure, so we just call him Andyrew. It seems to have stuck. He is a good kid and takes the teasing well. His options are limited, if he wants to spend time with the daughter, he has to put up with the parents.

My/our son John lives with us for a very short time. March 4 he is going to Brisbane Australia for an undetermined length of time. He is 18 and never lived on his own before. It might be a bit of a shocker for him. I told him to hurry up and move out while he still knows everything. If he hits a snag, he will be completely on his own. We can’t come over and fix it, or he can’t come home just for supper and visit like he could if he lived …... in the same hemisphere. He has found a good little car that is reliable and has a temporary place to land, a vacation condo at $700 a week. But that can’t last long and he will find a rental. He is a smart boy and will do fine. And I keep telling him and he agrees, if he really doesn’t like it, come home!

Today is Family Day, I plan to play a bit in my studio and then we are going out for supper. There is a nice little Cajun place on Whyte Ave and they have half price Po Boys on Monday nights, so we thought it would be fun and affordable to go out for Po Boys and sweet potatoe fries. I will have to walk the treadmill for sure today!

No comments:

Teaching Blog Traffic School