Saturday, May 22, 2010

Taking my own advice.

Almost every workshop has a student that shuts down, puts their hands on the lap and says “I can’t do it” and “I say you’re right, you can’t.” They look up at me with hurt and angry eyes because I agreed and then I go on to say” You quit. You have stopped trying, started looking for reasons why it won’t work. Your hands are not even touching the clay. With a shut down mind and hands on your lap, you are right, you can’t do it. Follow the instructions and just do it. You know how to do it, now you just have to do the work and…..do it. Once have finished, you will be so glad you didn’t quit just because it was harder than you thought it would be.” I don’t know how many times have given that little talk to a reluctant student. Friday was the last time. They always go on to make a great project and they are proud of it. You would think that I could take my own advice.


I wasn’t sure how personal to get in this blog. But then it is my blog, very few people read it and I am a personal kinda person.Writing it down puts it out there for me to read it more so than for anyone else. I have been battling the bulge for ……ever.Anyone who has watched the video we made years ago and the Youtube videos will know I am loosing the battle. I was very heavy about 13 years ago. At that time I joined TOPS and then a gym and lost 100 pounds. Well didn’t actually loose them, I put them in a place where they could be easily found. I kept it off for about 3 years and then they started creeping back just a pound or two here and there. About 5 pounds a year, for the last 10 years. Do the math!


I joined Weight Watchers about two months ago and have only lost 5 pounds. I know you can say all the things like, better than a gain, at least it is the right direction and all that crap. That is just what it is…. crap. I went to a meeting today. Ladies there had lost 5 pounds in a week not 8 weeks. Then this lady stood up she had lost enough last week to put her over 100 pounds lost. She did it. I too had done it, but then I undid it. I have no idea why, and then I thought of that little girl in my last workshop who had quit because her project was harder than she wanted to work. I had told to stop making excuses and just do it. When she was done she would be glad she had done it. She finished her project, it turned out well and she was very happy with her work and the fact that she had not quit. Then I went home from that workshop and all my good advice and coaching to continue do nothing about the weight loss I have been wanting for years. Basically I sat there with my hands on my lap, mind shut down and looking for reasons why it won’t work. I know how to do it. Follow the instructions and just do it.


When I write these blogs they are far apart and I don’t have the time, or take the time to go back and read the last one. I will ramble on through out the summer about the weight loss and getting back to working on pots that make me happy and make some money. We are planning a road trip this summer and I hope to be 25 pounds lighter than I am now. That is only 2 pounds a week, very doable. Take your own advice girl and just do it!


Until next time.

Cindy

No comments:

Teaching Blog Traffic School