Sunday, November 7, 2010

A bit of a busy week.

The Clay Teacher is back in full swing. We finished a wonderful and busy week. Jim has been coming with me to all the workshops and it is much easier for two people to do a job than one. The kids get so much more as well. It was a fun and full Friday. We did four workshops at a school that I had been to for the last 3 years. We worked with some kids with “learning challenges”. Those kids remembered me, my silly one liners, and most of the demo from the past. They may have some difficulties, but if they want to learn something they can. They just don’t want to learn the same old same old, and they don’t think the same way most do. One boy was in grade 6 and he works with his dad driving a bob cat. He may not grow up to be a rocket scientist, but he will be fine. I think the hardest thing for most children to learn, when they are working with clay, or anything else, is that they CAN do it. When I hear “I can’t” I tell them you can’t lift 600 pounds, but you can learn how to work with clay. There is a big difference between I don’t know how and I can’t. After they start working and what they are making starts to look like the project, their confidence soars, they do their best and the work is good. They are always sooooo pleased with what they have done. It is so cool to see their faces shine with pride!

I have finished all the pots for my clients … WOOO HOOO…..I like potting but I also like having no responsibility other than The Clay Teacher when we are booked solid. I have been working on a Pot Head for a competition on line called Vasefinder. I don’t have any fantasies of winning but it is fun to play. I want to add a few more wrinkles to his forehead and then he is done. When he is, I will put some pictures up.

It was Jim’s birthday yesterday and I am so mean, that while I was finishing up the pots in the basement, he had to make his own birthday dinner. He made some smouldering chili. We, John, our son, Kaileigh, our daughter that doesn’t live at home and her boyfriend Andrew had a birthday dinner for Jim. It was good. We had chilli, cheese bread sticks, beer and cake. It was a good day. We all get busy with life and sometimes let little things, like a family dinner, slide.

I am going to go downstairs and put some frown wrinkles on my Pot Head.

Until next time.

Cindy

The Clay Teacher

No comments:

Teaching Blog Traffic School