Sunday, June 10, 2012

Be yourself.


We work with students from many religious and ethnic back grounds.  A number of girls, boys and teachers wonder if Jim and I are married.  We have different last names. I am Cindy Clarke and he is Jim Willett.  During the workshops everyone knows us as Mr. and Mrs. Clay.  We are married but Clarke is my maiden name. I was born Cindy Clarke and I will remain Cindy Clarke. Often girls from different religious backgrounds will ask me, “Can you do that, keep your maiden name?” Some have never thought of keeping their maiden name. The idea of choice never occurred to them. I like to give these girls new ideas. I am sure they would come up with these ideas on their own once they get a little older, but I like to think that some of the ideas of change came from me. During the workshops we encourage creativity and the freedom to make what they like. The freedom to be themselves.  It is nice to think that this creativity and freedom might spill out of the workshops and into the rest of their day.

Until next time.

Cindy Clarke
The Clay Teacher 

No comments:

Teaching Blog Traffic School